Hi all, I am brand new to this forum. I came across this forum when looking for gifted kids education system and resources. I am so glad I found a forum with like minded people.

gftdgrrlsmom, I think you made a very important point. I was planning on asking my son's 1st grade teacher to pair him up with someone to tutor, hoping it would help improve others while also helping him develop his skills further. But after reading your post, it made me realise what it can do to both tutor and tutee. It gave me something to think about.

In any case, my son, I know is much ahead of many other kids in the class and I am hoping that he will be selected into the gifted kids program. I am very new to all of this concept and the school system in America. Can anyone please help me understand how it really works and what I need to do to prepare ourselves for that. I am willing to put any amount of effort it takes to get him the best education he needs. As many of you have pointed out, the kids are like sponges and my son just absorbs any amount of information that I give him. That's when it made me realize that he is not getting the education to his potential.

Thanks for your repsonses.
STLMom