I suspect 2e in my DS6 (dysgraphia/dyslexia), though we have confirmation of giftedness. As we're awaiting testing, I've been researching accommodations and I'm wondering how this would work out, practically.

I can't just tell the school to "accommodate" him. A lot of the stuff doesn't seem to be practical in his school. For instance, I don't even approve of how they're teaching reading, but can I force them to teach a phonics-based program? I doubt it. Will they allow him to just listen to books on CD or the computer? Will they scribe all his answers? Will they read aloud all instructions to him? Will they not force him to belabor all the repetitive worksheets in math? Will they "encourage" him to keep reading and writing at inappropriate (for him) levels when not directly supervised?

Will/can they address giftedness in the same manner? I feel like I'm already "teaching" him by remediating his struggles in reading and writing. I'm wondering how much of his 6 hour school day is wasted and will continue to be wasted by just scribbling on their papers or ingraining bad habits of reading by guessing, etc. We do reading/phonics and writing in about 1 hour, throw in some fun math review for 15-30 min with games, talk about/read about social studies, explore science, etc. I mean, take away all the "journaling" and worksheet busywork (which if he's to be accommodated by scribing in school will probably take him 2 min), and what is left of the school day?

I guess public school can always be good for free therapy if the therapists go to the school. I know last year a child who needed handwriting OT only received about 15 min a week after waiting for months for OT to be staffed at the school. I'm also concerned we won't qualify for services at all because DS isn't behind in all subjects.

Just thinking aloud about being 2e in public schools and if it can work out, especially without fighting for 1-2 years. Or goodness forbid actually give my DS a little challenge (ETA - challenge to address giftedness instead of challenging him to keep writing all.day.long).

Last edited by Displaced; 09/11/14 03:58 PM.

Life is the hardest teacher. It gives the test first and then teaches the lesson.