I think you should just approach the teacher and tell him or her that you're confused about class placement and that you want to understand the classes. I wouldn't approach it with any judgement-- just a need for clarity.

If there is a LA emphasis in the other class, is that where you want your dd? I can't tell if your concern is the gender issue, or the difference between a possible LA vs. math emphasis.

FWIW, I completely understand your concern about the gender issue. Like blackcat, my dd's school is only gender-imbalanced. (She's also 8 in 3rd grade.) She only had 3 girls her age in class last year, compared to 20 boys. This year, they have 7, so that's a improvement, and they're down to 16 boys. My dd isn't a princess, but she prefers to play with girls so this has been tricky when the 3 girls last year weren't a great friend-fit. Hopefully there are more opportunities this year. But we make sure we schedule playdates on the weekend with her true friends so that she gets the emotional fix she needs.