Originally Posted by blackcat
I know nothing about electronics and I want to make sure it is safe--that it wouldn't be easy to electrocute herself or someone else, or set something on fire.
Based on a brief glance at the preview on Amazon she won't be able to electrocute anyone or start anything on fire (if there was I'm sure a few of my university classmates would have managed to do it back in the day). As ElizabethN said, as long as she is just using batteries it should be fine. However, there is mention of solder in the index (it appears to reference one project) - I wouldn't let her do that part at school.

It is basically the same as snap circuits as far as the components and types of projects go. The tricky part is that instead of snapping a resister to a power source with the snap circuits you have to deal with alligator clipping tiny wires together or poking them into the right holes on a bread board. It is fine if they are good at details and fine motor but it can be a PITA to debug a complex circuit if it doesn't do what it is supposed to do. FWIW my DS8 has done some similar stuff and we've had to help debug occasionally. I can't imagine any of his teachers having the faintest idea of how to help him if it had been at school.