Exactly, aeh-- being an outlier (as being non-NT makes one, by definition)-- can, if we allow it, provide us with a deep respect and compassion for OTHER outliers who intersect our lives.

Forget the snobby stereotype of MENSAN's who would never speak to anyone who isn't one of them-- what I've actually experienced is that while that kind of snobbery might be somewhat common in those who are intellectually somewhat insecure-- or monochromatic in their self-image-- it's not that common among people who are truly +3 or more standard deviations from the mean.

THOSE individuals tend to regard the world with curiosity and interest, not ennui, and this often includes the other people in it. My daughter (PG) and my father (also PG) were both such individuals-- they serve as magnets for other outliers, and are genuinely enchanted by them on their own terms.

Some of this is an innate personality quirk in that both of them are people-oriented and basically optimistic, so they tend to look for ways that others are interesting, worthwhile, decent, etc. It's an incredible gift, that outlook. smile But having seen it, I firmly believe that it is one worth cultivating, too.

Schrödinger's cat walks into a bar. And doesn't.