Open Court has a decent research foundation. It's relatively strong in terms of phonics, but only adequate wrt comprehension, IMO. There are some options for upward and downward differentiation that are no worse than most other reading curr. I think it's a reasonable choice for the primary grades, but there are better choices for upper elementary. Of course, this all depends on implementation fidelity. I used an old edition of first grade with my dyslexic/dysgraphic-flavored child, and was satisfied with the reading aspect of it, without being wowed. I did end up having to switch to an OG-type spelling curr (All About Spelling) for the spelling aspect.

Oh, and there are tons of free or low-cost fact apps for iPhone/iPad or Android. Find one he likes to play. Mine have enjoyed the relatively stripped-down Multiplication Genius, as well as Factor Samurai (not exactly math facts, but in the neighborhood). My little one currently is in love with King of Math (comes in Junior and standard levels), which increases the social status of your avatar as you earn more points by amount and accuracy of gameplay.

Last edited by aeh; 08/30/14 12:22 PM. Reason: math facts

...pronounced like the long vowel and first letter of the alphabet...