So I have the curriculum for next year and it seems loosely divided into a continent per month plus one month on the universe and one month on our solar system specifically.

For each month there is art, art appreciation, cooking and music to go with that continent (a few from Asia = origami, Katsushika Hokusai, pot stickers, Zum Gali Gali)

There is going to be an emphasis on learning lots of maps and matching flags to countries.

There is also a year long focus on geometric shapes. DS6 scoffed at this and said he was too old for shapes. I suspect he'll be surprised. smile

I already talked to his teacher and because he can read now, he is going to start working in a language arts type curriculum learning grammar.
He has been doing four digit addition and subtraction and they'll be starting him on multiplication soon. I think there will be a lot of measurement too this year.

So overall a pretty cool plan. Heavy on geography, art and culture this year. Aside from the two months on space, a bit light on science. Although I am sure the wildlife and any particularly interesting plants on each continent will be covered.

For those that are familiar with the more traditional subject divisions, what do you think of a set up like this long term? We really like the school and it goes through eighth grade. Each year is set up like this. Last year was divided by biomes. The cool/weird thing is that this is the curriculum for the whole school. DS3 will be in preschool there. So when he might be finger painting a sun the kids in elementary/middle are learning about the life cycle of stars.

The traditional subjects of reading, writing and math are almost self taught in closely measured packets of progressively harder work.

Does anyone have familiarity with how a kid who is educated in such a way might do once they get in high school where the subjects don't have any coordination?

I have learned that you have to go with the best fit for now and not worry about the future but I still find myself at least thinking about it.

Last edited by KJP; 08/22/14 10:44 PM.