master of none, thanks for the tips. We're pretty much doing what you suggest.

To answer questions:

1. His math curriculum is Singapore math

2. The school had the students complete a math assessment and placed him based on the results.

3. Last year was a Montessori math curriculum- prior to that he was at another school that didn't work out, especially in math - so most of the new material that he learned came from me.

4. He brings home about 6-8 math sheets per night + one language sheet + a reading requirement

5. He seems to be doing okay with doing the homework so far, but I notice that he is very tired after a full day of school, homework, and a few nights of extracurriculars. It doesn't leave much for playtime and downtime- which he still needs a lot of.

6. Most of the math (so far) is not difficult for DS. I suspect the middle of the 3rd grade is where he landed because of learning gaps- if he fills them in quickly, it's possible he could be accelerated quite a bit further, which could increase the load. I need to clarify his trajectory with the teacher.

7. It's still early days, but right now, I need to participate at a low level with the homework. The maturity issues extend to things like "read the directions, look at the examples," or "show work to increase comprehension and/or prevent silly math errors."

Thanks for the input- I may need to conference with the teacher and sit tight for a few weeks. He hasn't been in school for long this year and I want to give the teacher a chance to weigh in on homework expectations, etc.