Long story short, it looks like DS7's school is going to accelerate him about 1 1/2 years in math (about the middle of the third grade). He just started second grade.

Simple background: We left DS's former school last year because of the lack of a coherent differentiation strategy.

Now, DS has gone from having no required homework to coming up with about 45 minutes per night, most of it math. I know I can't have it both ways- if he's accelerated in math, he must complete the curriculum and homework, end of story. I completely get it.

The thing is, there is this asynchronicity issue, where DS responds to homework like a seven year old, not a nine year old. I'm trying to figure out how to get him through this homework each night.

First, has anyone faced this issue with acceleration-- kids are able to handle the intellectual side, but have maturity issues regarding work expectations. Care to commiserate?

Second, proactively, does anyone have a good ideas to keep my DS focused, organized and not a burnt out shell of his former self (tongue in cheek) while meeting work expectations?

Reading assessments occur next week- I predict that (with the exception of reading aloud anxiety) that DS will do well, and may also be accelerated in language arts (more homework?!). Yikes.

Thanks