I think it really depends on what your child wants. Our younger son attended a few years ago with his godmother (our oldest was graduating from college that day, so we couldn't attend). The ceremony itself was (according to his godmother) probably similar to the graduation we attended-long, boring, lots of names... So, if you're expecting to be entertained, you probably won't be. Ds liked the student presentations, but the main speaker was a topic/level that was not engaging for him (reproductive oncology/focus on girls in science). That said, we will be there on the 6th with our other son, who actually chose this over a HS sporting event. Dh can't seem to understand it (the state ceremony last week was very lame, and ds is good at the sport) but honestly, I get it. Younger ds came home beaming from the NW ceremony, and older ds seemed happy after the incredibly boring state ceremony. I think they just enjoyed being recognized. They enjoyed being in a room with other smart kids. They enjoyed being able to talk about their accomplishment (or just know that other people knew). Ds14 does sports and music, and people seem eager to pat him on the back for those, ask him questions, etc... It's not the same for academics. He knows that it is just one test, but I think he also knows (because he didn't prep) that it is a reflection of years of reading, studying diverse topics, taking an interest in so many things. Ds and I have both repeatedly heard, "we have sooo many smart/gifted kids here" from those in the schools/district, and he is well aware it would be impolitic to suggest anything different. So, I do think that the program looks interesting, and as a HS freshman, I think he'll get more out of visiting the campus, but mainly, our goal is to just enjoy getting to focus on a side of him that isn't often celebrated.
I'm not sure if my reply provided any real information, but if you haven't had a chance to celebrate your child's academics, it might be worth it. smile