finca, your DD, your district, and your school's approach to later identification of G&T students sound very much like the experience I had with my DD (now 9).

The good news is, if your DD is a good and VERY INDEPENDENT, voracious reader - she will probably continue to make some progress on her own. The bad news is, the school may make little or no contribution to that progress during the school year.

I would talk to the teacher about what she has read and is currently reading at home, to see what might be available - can she join 2nd grade reading for this year, so she has a better chance of making some progress? Does the school have any resource people/gifted teachers who might be able to work with your DD and perhaps even a small group of readers in the grade (it can feel better to have some peers, even if she is ahead of them)?

One lesson that I have learned the hard way, though, is that even if the teacher is sympathetic and well-intentioned, that does NOT mean that he/she will have the time or resources to sufficiently differentiate for your DD - so you will need to keep a dialogue going (and I'm afraid to say that it will not stop after 1st grade).

I completely understand your situation. While this worked for DD, DS6 is headed to first this year, has been able to read for years, just scored very high in reading on the WIAT - but he is NOT as voracious of a reader as his sister (instead does math and climbs trees wink ). I, too, am worried about his reading instruction this year.

Last edited by Loy58; 08/22/14 07:06 AM. Reason: added