...and by stealth, I mean really stealth.

DS8 is starting 4th grade. CTOPP/AIMSWeb, nonsense spelling all 60-90+ percentile. His WM and PS were between his VCI and PRI, all in the gifted + range. Mathematical reasoning is a significant area of strength. He's single grade accelerated, 3x accel in math.

He has a diagnosis of oral apraxia/oral motor dysphasia, and he's been working with an OT this summer who sees it in his fine motor coordination as well. OT has been doing HWOT and core strengthening work. SLP has been working on the apraxia, social speech, and fluency of generating ideas. At our last speech session of the year last week (ins runs out - met gag reflex/chewing goals), he was in tears over being asked to write something, an increasing pattern of reluctance and struggle with writing. She strongly suggested OG.

Reading tests at above grade level despite the fact that he can't read orally well due to the oral apraxia. I suspect his reading level is radically above where he places at school.

We have a bonus dx of ADHD based on a classroom observation that included only writing time - math was not observed. He was observed to avoid the writing tasks using a variety of strategies from sharpening pencils, using the bathroom, removing his shoes, etc. None of the Connors/Brief or WISC-WM suggest ADHD.

His spelling shows difficulties with consonant blends, vowel sounds, sequencing of sounds & letter reversals. The lack of automaticity of spelling even basic words appears to be his biggest (though certainly not only) hurdle in producing written work. This includes things like math, so using things like Dragon Dictate or co:writer are only partial accommodations.

So with that profile, I do not anticipate the school will ID DS. His sister was ID'd in 4th grade based on slightly lower phonological scores and much higher VCI scores. 4 months of daily OG fully resolved her issues to the point of being undetectable.

I've called 10 OG tutors. Several won't accept him without a dx. Others don't know what I'm talking about, telling me my expectations are too high or that we shouldn't have skipped him or that he should just type everything. The bottom line is that he's frustrated and it's taking an emotional toll. The two I've contacted that get it are employed by school districts and are maxed out by private clients (with a >20 mile commute to boot).

I will keep at the school and OG tutor hunt, but he needs help now before his self esteem tumbles more and he encounters more frustration.

Sequential Spelling is too hard/too frustrating/too dull/rules not explained.

I'm finding All About Spelling and Barton. They appear to be nearly identical (is that true?) with an order of magnitude difference in price.

Can anyone guide me on how to help him on my own? Another program? Strategy?
Can anyone guide me on how to figure out the right level placement on AAS?