Hello and welcome- yes, your son sounds advanced and probably gifted.

My DS had the same high energy levels and explosive tantrums at that age.It was worrying because we were "green" parents, did not suspect giftedness or how it contributed to his strong feelings and asynchronicity.

One of the better things we have done when parenting DS was to "go with the flow" of his interests. If it was weather, we bought weather books, watched the weather channel, etc. and didn't discourage his need to explore that interest. Later, DS developed other interests, but they are frequently in-depth and long-term.

Gifted toddlers and preschoolers can be *hard.* All the capability, none of the judgement is what we used to say. The curiosity, emotional reactions, energy, and focus seemed so much more extreme for DS than my friends' children. He had tantrums often multiple times per day- usually over trying me trying to re-direct him.

We waited until K was nearly over to have a WISC administered, a year later we did the the WJ test for achievement. I recommend waiting until six (unless there is a compelling reason to do it earlier) on both so that you can get an accurate, stable result. Joining Davidson, both the public forum and the Young Scholars Program has been invaluable for advice and support. We changed schools this year, and I was able to vent sort through the decision here. If your child turns out to be on the extreme end of giftedness, it is quite common to deal with school issues.

Good luck to you and definitely use these forums for support- I know something of what you're going through.