Aeh is such an invaluable resource to these boards! So much good information in the previous post.

My DD9 was diagnosed "NLD-ish" but she lacks the social issues. Her scores ranged from above the 99th percentile to below the 1st percentile. Neuropsych said "it's a useful diagnostic concept" and "it's easier than saying super high verbal along with dyslexia, dysgraphia, dyspraxia, math disability, etc." Reading about kids with NLD is sobering to say the least. Once I absorbed the gyst of it I have tried to avoid reading too much - it gets very overwhelming. The same thing is true for DD's slow processing speed. Very, very dark anecdotal information so I try not to let myself go there too often.

There is a Gifted-NLD discussion board on Yahoo but you have to email the moderator to be admitted. Just tell him you recently got a diagnosis and a bit about your scores and you will be admitted. Lots of folks there with lots of experience.

For my DD the biggest issues have been with math, handwriting and encoding. She is in an out of district placement at a spec Ed school where her program includes an 8th grade reading comprehension group, strong focus on the use of assistive technology, reading intervention (they use Wilson), lots of OT and speech and support for math. It is hard to get people to understand that she doesn't actually have the social skill issues you would expect to see - in fact it's an area of strength for her. She loves symbolism and poetic language, is extremely sensitive to body language, tone of voice and nuance - everything you would expect her to be weak in. In other words not everything you read about NLD and the challenges these kids face will necessarily apply to your DS.

One thing I found really helpful when reading up on NLD was that homework should be limited or excluded. The idea is that the school day is so challenging for these kids asking them to do more school work at the end of the day is counterproductive, I presented this to the school and they agreed to forego homework. DD works *very* hard during the school day and maintains her focus very well. She may have some project based assignments to work on and we have her read every night but no written homework, math worksheets, etc. Its a trade off - skip those and have her focus intensely at school or struggle with homework and have less cooperation in school. This works much better for us.

Hope it helps to know you're not alone!