I assume you have taken a look at parent resources, such as:

http://www.ncld.org/types-learning-...isorders/nonverbal-learning-disabilities

How you approach the IEP meeting and new teacher will depend on the exact deficits with which he presents. There is a fair amount of variability among children Dx with NVLD, partly because there is a lack of consensus on the diagnostic criteria, and whether it is truly a Dx of its own, or a subcategory on the mild end of ASD.

With WMI that low, I would expect challenges in math, especially automaticity of math facts. If that is the case, yet he has comprehension of higher level math concepts (for instance), then I would look for a calculator accommodation for problem-solving tasks. ("When the instructional focus is on problem solving, DS may benefit from access to calculation supports, such as a calculator, abacus, or fact chart.") He should be getting opportunities for overlearning and multiple exposures, and accommodations that have to do with the oral and visual presentation of instruction. ("Keep oral instructions clear, concrete, and concise." "Repeat and rephrase." "Have DS restate directions in his own words, to insure that he has accurately understood and remembered them.") I am assuming that the PRI was significantly lower as well, given the Dx. ("Keep visual materials clear and uncluttered." "Present visual stimuli one at a time, allowing adequate time for DS to examine them and request clarification, if needed.")

If there are other academic needs, obviously those should be addressed. He may have handwriting or written language difficulties (not unusual in NVLD, even with excellent reading skills). Often the written language issues, if not an outgrowth of handwriting/fine-motor, are related to organization. Organization in general, is likely to be a challenge as well. Might want to discuss that, too, wrt keeping an agenda of assignments, homework completion, organizing materials, time management/long-term assignments.

On the social end: One of the tricky things with a 2e kid with NVLD is that they can be very inconsistent--they take asynchrony to a new level, really. For an average cognition kid with NVLD, I would recommend to teachers that they avoid sarcasm, irony, and figurative or allusive language. But with a VCI of 144, he may very well grasp the figurative language--most days. Sarcasm, likewise, depending on the context. Teachers do have to be careful about body language and tone of voice, though, which is what cues most of us to sarcasm. So, not knowing your son, I would suggest that teachers be alert to the possibility of him misinterpreting such language, especially when it comes to dealing with emotional or behavioral challenges. That is, be aware that an apparent overreaction to some social-emotional situation or incident may make a lot more sense if one factors in the failure to accurately read tone of voice or body language, and that bringing such a situation to resolution should take into account misinterpretation, rather than solely misbehavior.

With his level of intellect, he might benefit from a structured social skills group (in which he can learn the "rules" for social interaction). The gold standard is "Skillstreaming the Elementary School Child", Dr. Ellen McGinnis (based on the work of Dr. Arnold Goldstein) (Research Press).

http://www.amazon.com/Skillstreamin...ocial/dp/0878226559/ref=pd_bxgy_b_text_y

If there are existing social-emotional concerns, I would request that the school counselor (guidance, adjustment, or school psychologist, depending on what's available in your building) be placed on the IEP as a consult service, or as a direct service, if you can get the social skills group written into the plan. (In some buildings, speech/language paths run the SS groups, which is also fine.)

Make sure you discuss bullying in the meeting, even if he has never experienced any bullying (on either end). NVLD kids are highly vulnerable to victimization, as they are easily "set up". And middle school, as most of us know, is a vicious environment in most places.

...pronounced like the long vowel and first letter of the alphabet...