Well, we had a great school year with major improvements in DS(9)'s ability to control himself in the classroom starting late winter 08. His teachers loved him, recognized that he needed something more than just a a pull-out and began talking about other enrichment and compacting options.

Fast forward to May and DS seemed to have learned to control his excess energy and pay attention in class easily after a multiple diagnosis of ADHD, ODD, and Bi-Polar Summer of 07. Meds for ADHD made his emotions go haywire and we never pursued medication for the bi-polar since the mood swings leveled off with a change in school environment. In May DH and I realized that somethin was wrong and he was gaining an excessive amount of weight very quickly. (16 pounds in 7 weeks) It turns out that DS has an Underactive Thyroid and has been on medication for it now for a couple months. The medication is working wonderfully and DS has lost most of the excess weight and we are seeing a return of his energy levels.

I'm looking for suggestions for how to help him self-regulate his energy now that he is getting it back to avoid problems in the classroom next Fall. The problem is DS does not seem to be able to recognize when his energy levels are controlling him and affecting his behavior. We do the gentle reminders, taps on the shoulder, incentive charts and watch his diet. Nothing seems to help. Once his behavior passes from his control he cannot seem to harness it back. We track time periods to see if there is a pattern to the energy levels, limit screen time and encourage both regular physical activity and mental stimulation/problem solving. He is still able to keep a focus on activities that interest him but he is regressing in terms of keeping a focus an activites that he sees and unrewarding or repetitious.
I've been trying to get him to do more heavy work but he wilts and says he has no energy even when I can see him pinging off the walls and unable to focus.

Things aren't too bad yet, but I am fearful about 4th or 5th grade next Fall if we can't help him get this under control now. Thanks in advance for your suggestions!