thank you both for responding. He is 5 and a half years old. The school is a public one. They want an IQ test I assume because of his ASD, nothing to do with his giftedness (that they currently have no idea exists)

The school has agreed to him having full time shadow support (provided by us, our choice of person) in class with him.

There is likely to be an IEP put in place but I assume this will target his ASD needs only.

The school has been given so far, his ASD assessments and his IEP from him old school (which did include extension goals)

Im not sure what to ask for, if anything. I dont want to start a big fight about extension (because his social and attention goals will be a big learning step for him and he'll be supported) but at the same time I dont want him sitting on the rug learning the alphabet. Iwant him to know that school is a place to learn, not to be told what you already knos.

I dont think there is a hope in hell that if they leave him for a couple of years the other kids will catch up - that just wont work. Everything he has learnt so far in life is self taught. He learns without adult instruction, there is no stopping it. Its like a train that keeps on moving!

We cant skip him yet because we only want him at school half a day so he can spend the other getting behavioral intervention.

Is getting proper extension a difficult thing here?