Thanks so much for that detailed reply. It's great to hear from people who have actual hands on experience. The school we are looking at is private, however it is my understanding (I may be wrong) that where we are (australia), the national curriculum can't be entirely replaced by an individual school's curriculum. They have promised differentiation of course, but I'm unsure how that will work out. He would be starting in a combined kindergarten/grade 1 class, so at least he would be able to do the grade 1 work. DS is not HG, so this may well be enough for him, although from what I can gather he is already at around a beginning grade 2 level for measurable things eg maths/reading with very little instruction, and will not start kindergarten for another 6 months. Of course kindergarten is also about social skills and other things, so I hope it will be a good fit and he'll be happy there. Our local public schools are struggling due to axing of teaching positions and budgets, and there are no other good private schools nearby, so fingers crossed.