I just wanted to come in and edit this post to say I now love this program! The project-based learning has become the highlight of my child's educational experience.

Good things:
A second language and art must be offered, which is helpful in today's climate where those things get cut first. My child would not be getting foreign language if it weren't required by the IB program.

I live in a state with weak state standards, and I like the fact that there is a second body looking in.

The learner profile stuff gets a little hokey at times, but I think it is good that they're getting those ideas drilled into them. (The kids do talk a lot about taking risks and there is space built in for them to be reflective, for example).

The transdisciplinary learning is not just talk. It is obvious that the teachers spend a lot of time developing the curriculum together.

The kids stay with one main teacher for all their academic subjects, which means that there is less opportunity for differentiation by splitting kids up into subject classes with different teachers. My child's school definitely struggles with differentiation, but I do think they are trying to crack that nut. But honestly, when I look ahead, I do not see her getting the same education that her friends in private school are going to get by the time they are in the 5th grade unless we give it to her at home.

If you are in a public school the inquiry-based approach does not supersede mandatory state tests, so if the school feels the need to teach to the test, they're still going to teach to the test. My child's school still has plenty of worksheets, even with the IB program.

Last edited by Questions202; 03/13/15 07:30 PM. Reason: I changed my mind!