I am having both my children do a summer bridge book and I am concerned because my DS9 started having serious anxiety whenever he got to math problems (some of which are below his level as it is material he has already covered in school). I asked him why he got so anxious and he finally came out and said he doesn't feel comfortable with the math- this was just adding three digit numbers together. I was not a math kid, in fact one of the things that seriously upset me was that my brain that is so good at so many things just refuses to remember algebra. I'm not sure why, but I think it's because it's so abstract, I'm very good at memorizing things in story form, but abstract numbers are difficult for me. I can do regular math fine, and I have built things that required precise calculations.

Anyway, back to DS9. This is basic addition. First, he doesn't seem to have dyscalculia (he can tell time, count etc. ) We did take a break from math for about a month, and I know that perhaps certain dendrites may have been pruned, but I didn't realize this was a problem as he has scored well in math previously.

They have changed to common core (Everyday) math at school, the year before when he was doing well they were doing Singapore- which he said he liked better. I am just wondering if there is something I can do over the summer to help him feel comfortable with math. I did buy the Murderous Maths books, but although he has said he wants to read them he hasn't picked any of them up yet. I don't want to give him a lot of summer homework, but if I can find a less dry method of teaching him so that he feels comfortable with math I think it would help him when he goes back to school.

PS my husband is good at math, and liked it and uses it in his occupation but he was not super mathy either.

Last edited by LAF; 07/13/14 07:21 AM.