Have you talked with your DS about this issue in a calm, non-confrontational, matter-of-fact manner? I talk with my DS about these kinds of things as they appear as it's always good to get his perspective on it.

We do a few different things, depending on the situation:

1) Burrito-wrap.
DS8 still loves to be wrapped in his favorite blanket from time to time, especially when he is anxious about something. The snug sensation eases his fears and the burrito-wrap gives him an implied permission to regress a bit to when life was easy (as a baby.)

2) Favorite song.
I will snuggle him and sing his favorite song twice. Having a routine helps him immeasurably to settle down and get ready for sleep.

3) Bedroom time.
a) DS8 and I hang out in his bedroom during the day sometimes, doing stuff. It's a more comfortable environment if he's in it during the day.

b) We don't have bedtime; we have bedroom time. Bedroom time starts at 8PM; he may do anything he likes in his room as long as I don't see (no coming out to the living room) or hear him (no loud racket). I don't control when he will sleep; only he can do that.

4) Lights.
We usually leave his light on in his room; if I do turn off his light, I turn on the hall light as I have vivid memories of the gorilla in my closet.

Last edited by Minx; 06/30/14 09:03 AM.