My daughter has some of these issues (though milder) as she has grown despite being a great sleeper early on. A few months ago she started waking every night at 2:30am and trying to come into bed with us. She was terrified and shaking but never really could say why. We made alot of improvement by moving her younger sister into her room. Initially they slept in the same bed but eventually we just moved both beds in there and the other room is the "playroom" for now. We also realized that one of DD6's best friends was a boy that loves scary stuff and liked to tell her things that would spook her. We already limited scary media knowing that she was sensitive. I also wanted to mention a CD that DD loves. I think we bought it just before she started kindergarten as we were seeing more anxiety (chewing habits etc). At first she used it a little but in the past year she has used it nearly every night. It is basically a guided relaxtion imagery CD. As long as she has her nightlights, the hall light, her animals and her CD she is usually fine. It is by Charlotte Resnik and called Discover your Special place or something like that.