I'm kind of surprised that no one did a Google search for Google's hiring practices. I found this story very easily.

Originally Posted by Page 2 of linked interview
Q. Other insights from the data you’ve gathered about Google employees?

A. One of the things we’ve seen from all our data crunching is that G.P.A.’s are worthless as a criteria for hiring, and test scores are worthless — no correlation at all except for brand-new college grads, where there’s a slight correlation. Google famously used to ask everyone for a transcript and G.P.A.’s and test scores, but we don’t anymore, unless you’re just a few years out of school. We found that they don’t predict anything.

What’s interesting is the proportion of people without any college education at Google has increased over time as well. So we have teams where you have 14 percent of the team made up of people who’ve never gone to college.

I don't know about how Google picks the other 86% of its employees, but if 14% of them never even went to college, it seems reasonable to assume that they don't restrict applicants by college attended. Anecdotally, I knew someone who was hired there. He didn't go to an elite college. My husband and a friend work in the tech industry at high profile places and neither of them puts much emphasis on where the candidate's degree was earned. They mostly want to know if the person a) knows the field and b) can get stuff done.

Wren, I'm trying to understand your question. Why did you ask? Are you thinking about your daughter? Was the question related to something else?