Gifted Issues Discussion homepage
Posted By: Wren which college and does it matter - 06/27/14 11:07 PM
We have been down this road from an academic perspective. But I had a discussion with someone at Google and he said they were now restricting applicants based on the schools they attended. I was wondering how pervasive this is, or going to be.

Any input?
Posted By: intparent Re: which college and does it matter - 06/27/14 11:19 PM
Major companies have always recruited more heavily at some colleges (fixed) than others. They sent recruiters only to certain schools, and they tend to have more interviewers (multiple recruiters) at the schools where they have found the strongest employees in the past. And student from schools where they don't usually find the strongest candidates get extra scrutiny in the hiring process in my experience just to make sure they are up to the job.

Not sure what this means to "restrict applicants based on the schools they attended". It could mean a lot of things. Requiring a 4 year degree? Requiring a masters degree for some jobs? No hires from state directionals? Only a small list of schools they will hire from? Does whatever "it" is apply to experienced hires, or just fresh out of college hires? Is it company-wide HR policy at Google, or only certain departments?
Posted By: ColinsMum Re: which college and does it matter - 06/28/14 08:49 AM
Assuming you're not only interested in the US [was: UK, a typo!]

Anecdotally (that is, I have only vaguely remembered second-hand knowledge of specific companies that have come out and said "we only take people with degrees from...", but it's a thing "everyone knows") it's common here, where the favoured group of universities is usually the Russell Group, plus or minus a few depending on context.

What's definitely observably true is that many good employers only actively recruit from certain places. That's obviously an advantage of being there even if applicants from other places aren't automatically rejected.

However: I have never heard of a university auto-rejecting applicants for graduate places based on where they come from, so if graduate study is a firm intention, it may matter less. (Disclaimer: I mean places in the same country, or countries the institution is familiar with. If an applicant is from an obscure university in a country noone in the institution is familiar with, it might be very hard indeed for them to get to seem like a good bet for a PhD place. And of course there are still advantages to having done a first degree in a research-strong place; I only mean that not having done so wouldn't automatically rule you out as it apparently can outside academia.)
Posted By: Thomas Percy Re: which college and does it matter - 06/28/14 12:28 PM
For big consulting firms, big investment banks, big law firms, this has always been true. I am sure the super selective colleges are way over represented at big techs as well.

I am a bit surprised by Google, because I seem to remember they don't even ask for a bachelor's degree for their programmers. For one thing, it is easier to deploy interview questions that directly tests technical ability, much easier than some other fields. So the screening and signaling role of the fancy degrees are not as important. Maybe they only recruit from fancy colleges for all other types of jobs.
Posted By: lilmisssunshine Re: which college and does it matter - 06/28/14 01:46 PM
Bit of a conspiracy, but a friend once pointed out that courses at elite colleges are much more in-depth than what you'd receive at other schools, even when you're talking about something as simple as Biology 101 or Calculus 101, where you wouldn't think there'd be a lot of discrepancy. When asking another friend what she thought about it, she pointed out that the material covered in another friend's graduate program at a SUNY school was the same covered in the 101 level at our elite college.

I don't pretend to know where the line is drawn, but it seems that it could be a thing and that certain companies might prefer students who have a more challenging background, like this?
Posted By: HowlerKarma Re: which college and does it matter - 06/28/14 02:50 PM
In isolated instances, that might be so, but in STEM? I frankly do NOT believe that. I do not believe it because I went to a little no-name directional college, and have close friends who went to top-25 colleges for the same course of study.

They were, if anything, hampered in graduate studies by a lack of hands-on experience with instrumentation, at least those who came from institutions with state of the art equipment being run exclusively by post-docs, professional technicians, and graduate students. Their theoretical knowledge was absolutely no different than mine.

Also-- if this WERE true, then the textbooks used in those "elite" courses would differ significantly. They most certainly do not.

Finally, my peers and I, graduating in a class of fewer than 10, were accepted into some of the most elite graduate programs anywhere in the world, and were highly successful in those programs, no less. So if our undergraduate degrees were so second-rate, someone should definitely let places like CalTech, Berkeley, and MIT know. LOL!

Is it true in the humanities? I have no idea, but it would explain a few things to me if it were, I suppose. Now, if you're comparing a not-quite-mediocre graduate program to a top-5 undergraduate one, then I might well believe that the material covered in a 300-level undergrad course was more or less equivalent...

but honestly, a lot of this kind of discussion strikes me as rationalization based on sticker pricing.

Different corporations have different recruiting policies. Those policies change with some regularity. Even within large companies, those recruiting policies may not be monolithic. For example, one high-tech employer that I know of LOVES to hire Stanford grads-- in California. In their other sites worldwide, those degrees carry far less weight... they basically tend to hire locally.

In contrast, a smaller (also high-tech) company in the region refuses to hire Stanford grads at all.

{shrug} I think it's kind of a wash, personally. If you have an HR that idolizes elite colleges, it gives you an edge to have a degree from one. If you have an HR director who has a bias against them on the basis of anti-elitism, though, it will actually hurt you, but maybe you don't care since who wants to work there anyway, right?

Posted By: bluemagic Re: which college and does it matter - 06/28/14 06:46 PM
Originally Posted by Wren
We have been down this road from an academic perspective. But I had a discussion with someone at Google and he said they were now restricting applicants based on the schools they attended. I was wondering how pervasive this is, or going to be.

Any input?
Really is that new? Is that even legal? I talked with a google recruiter last year and that wasn't the official line, nor one that other were talking about. In addition I have friend who were hired by google in the past year that went to university with me. I have no idea if it's on the list but it's not a "top" rated university. Now this was someone with 20+ years experience and not someone fresh out of university. Perhaps that is what they are talking about.
Posted By: Bostonian Re: which college and does it matter - 06/29/14 02:50 PM
Originally Posted by lilmisssunshine
Bit of a conspiracy, but a friend once pointed out that courses at elite colleges are much more in-depth than what you'd receive at other schools, even when you're talking about something as simple as Biology 101 or Calculus 101, where you wouldn't think there'd be a lot of discrepancy.
I'll repeat what I wrote in an earlier thread since I think it's relevant:

I earned a 5 on the AP Calculus BC exam. When I went to Harvard, I glanced a few times at the homework and exam questions being given to Harvard's "regular" calculus class (the one taken by biology, economics and other non-math majors). The questions were on material I had seen and were not above the level of my high school calculus class. In fact, the calculus textbooks authored by Harvard instructor Deborah Hughes-Hallett have often been criticized for their lack of rigor. I started with multivariable calculus and was not hampered by not having taken single-variable calculus at college.

I doubt that Harvard's "regular" calculus class is much more difficult than that of other colleges. Its Math 55 course probably has counterparts at only a few selective schools. Harvard et al. are so expensive that it makes sense to take courses at them which are not offered at other places (including high schools).

You can find the syllabi (and often lecture notes and homework assignments) of many college courses online and compare the rigor of courses at various colleges. It's not my impression that Harvard's CS50 (introductory computer science) is more "in-depth" than the equivalent course at other schools.

When I started physics graduate school, we were given a "free shot" to pass the qualifying exam based on first-year graduate courses. People normally took the exam after one year of graduate study. I did notice that U.S. students coming from elite undergrad schools and foreign students tended to pass on the free shot, whereas U.S. students from non-elite student were not ready for it. However I'd guess that physics majors at
elite schools are more likely to have AP credits in Physics C and Calculus, so that they start with 2nd-year courses and are often taking gradate level courses as juniors and seniors. So the difference in free shot passing rate may reflect not the greater rigor of courses at elite schools but the fact that the students are a little smarter and better prepared coming in.

Posted By: ElizabethN Re: which college and does it matter - 06/29/14 03:57 PM
Originally Posted by Portia
What are your thoughts on the "extras" at the elites versus state flagship. Do you feel these "extra" opportunities are things that give applicants advantages?

There is no question that elites give advantages. In addition to the more tangible ones you suggest, there is simply the fact of being surrounded by people who got into elite schools. Being with "my people" at MIT probably made more difference to me than my research projects, for example.

Whether those advantages are worth the cost is a different question. I didn't have much trouble paying off my student loans, but they spent a long time in deferment, between grad school and law school. I was lucky to have gotten them at a time when they didn't accrue interest while I was in school. I think fewer loans have that feature now.
Posted By: JonLaw Re: which college and does it matter - 06/29/14 10:36 PM
Law has always been like this, so there's not much for me to add here.

I've gotten two legal positions (out of three) basically because of where I went to law school.

The third was because of my experience and specialization.

I still don't know what the point of college was or is, so I still think of it as an extremely unpleasant complete waste of time.
Posted By: JonLaw Re: which college and does it matter - 06/29/14 10:38 PM
Originally Posted by bluemagic
Originally Posted by Wren

Any input?
Really is that new? Is that even legal? I talked with a google recruiter last year and that wasn't the official line, nor one that other were talking about. In addition I have friend who were hired by google in the past year that went to university with me. I have no idea if it's on the list but it's not a "top" rated university. Now this was someone with 20+ years experience and not someone fresh out of university. Perhaps that is what they are talking about.

Why would it be illegal?

If you are a company and you only want people from MIT and Harvard and you get enough resumes that you can fill all the slots without looking at other schools, why would you even bother with the sub-standard schools?

(Yes, I know this is Google, and I should have picked California schools.)
Posted By: Bostonian Re: which college and does it matter - 06/29/14 11:00 PM
Originally Posted by ElizabethN
There is no question that elites give advantages. In addition to the more tangible ones you suggest, there is simply the fact of being surrounded by people who got into elite schools.
Whether those advantages translate into higher income is debatable. A recent paper found that controlling for an applicant's SAT scores, the SAT scores of the most selective schools he or she applies to -- a measure of ambition according to the authors -- predicts future earnings, but actually getting in does not.

http://www.usnews.com/education/blogs/the-college-solution/2011/03/01/the-ivy-league-earnings-myth
The Ivy League Earnings Myth:
An updated study concludes that Ivy League graduates do not have a monopoly on high salaries.
By Lynn O'Shaughnessy March 1, 2011

In a famous study, two economists tackled this question nearly a decade ago and concluded that Ivy League graduates did not enjoy an earnings advantage monopoly. And now the same economists—Alan Krueger at Princeton University and Stacy Dale at Mathematica Policy Research—have revisited the question with even more compelling data that has led them to an even stronger conclusion.

To appreciate the researchers' latest findings, you need to understand why the original study, which has been cited repeatedly over the years, caused such a commotion. In the first study, the economists noted that students who graduated from elite schools like Swarthmore College and University of Pennsylvania earned higher salaries than students from less selective schools. This conclusion was no different from conventional wisdom.

Here, however, is what was explosive: Dale and Krueger concluded that students, who were accepted into elite schools, but went to less selective institutions, earned salaries just as high as Ivy League grads. For instance, if a teenager gained entry to Harvard, but ended up attending Penn State, his or her salary prospects would be the same.

In the pair's newest study, the findings are even more amazing. Applicants, who shared similar high SAT scores with Ivy League applicants could have been rejected from the elite schools that they applied to and yet they still enjoyed similar average salaries as the graduates from elite schools. In the study, the better predictor of earnings was the average SAT scores of the most selective school a teenager applied to and not the typical scores of the institution the student attended.

The researchers originally looked at students who started college in 1976, and in the new study they revisited what happened to these graduates. With the passing time, the salary advantage for the now middle-aged graduates, who attended elite schools, as well as those who gained admission, but passed on the chance, remained. The new study also looked at students who entered college in 1989.

In an E-mail exchange with Krueger and Dale, the researchers made this observation: "The consistency of our findings across nearly 30 years and for two cohorts makes the findings more compelling. In contrast, our earlier study was based on the earnings of students during a single year for those who attended colleges during the 1970s."

As with the earlier study, there were some students who did fare better financially if they attended elite schools. The students who fell into this category were Latino, black, and low-income students, as well as those whose parents did not graduate from college.

In an E-mail, the researchers explained these exceptions: "While most students who apply to selective colleges may be able to rely on their families and friends to provide job-networking opportunities, networking opportunities that become available from attending a selective college may be particularly valuable for black and Hispanic students and for students who come from families with a lower level of parental education."

When I asked Dale and Krueger whether the latest research would quell the pervasive belief that the Ivy League schools represent the ticket to a prosperous life, they responded: "It certainly might make some parents and students less anxious about the admissions process."

Let's hope so.
Posted By: JonLaw Re: which college and does it matter - 06/29/14 11:01 PM
OK. I just asked my wife about a recent Google hire.

Standard issue Big Ten state school.

This was not an entry level job.
Posted By: JonLaw Re: which college and does it matter - 06/29/14 11:08 PM
Originally Posted by Bostonian
Whether those advantages translate into higher income is debatable. A recent paper found that controlling for an applicant's SAT scores, the SAT scores of the most selective schools he or she applies to -- a measure of ambition according to the authors -- predicts future earnings, but actually getting in does not.

This is the same thinking that says just because I applied to Princeton, but went to Penn State, I will make the same amount as people who went to Princeton.

Oh, wait.

I ended up working with people who went to Princeton, Harvard, and Yale for 10 years.

Haven't had a raise since I started working, though.

I want to point out that this is rear view mirror thinking during the actual boom times that ended in 2008.
Posted By: Bostonian Re: which college and does it matter - 06/29/14 11:14 PM
Originally Posted by Portia
I have heard Harvard and Yale have 2 tracks: 1 for those who pay the bills and the other for those who deserve to be there.
No, since income is positively correlated with IQ, and IQ is highly heritable, a disproportionate number of the smartest and high school students come from rich families, who are paying full freight. That's why even though 29% of Harvard students came from families with incomes of $250K+, including 14% from families with incomes of $500K+, the richest kids had the highest SAT scores on average, according to a survey of Harvard freshman:

http://www.thecrimson.com/article/2013/9/4/freshman-survey-admissions-aid/
Freshman Survey Part II: An Uncommon App
The Crimson’s Survey of Freshmen Shines Light on Admissions, Financial Aid, and Recruiting
By LAYA ANASU and MICHAEL D. LEDECKY
September 4, 2013

On average, freshman respondents took the SAT 1.85 times, earning an average highest composite score of 2237. Students were more likely to take the SAT, and most respondents never took the ACT.

Standardized test scores varied along racial lines. East Asian and Indian respondents reported SAT averages of 2299, the two highest of the seven ethnic groups considered in the survey. Respondents who identified as Black and Native American reported the lowest average scores, 2107 and 2142, respectively.

Respondents’ highest SAT scores tended to go up with an increase in income bracket. Of the six income brackets represented in the survey, respondents who reported household incomes of more than $500,000 or between $250,000 and $500,000 earned the highest average SAT composite scores.
Posted By: JonLaw Re: which college and does it matter - 06/29/14 11:17 PM

So, they are all dermatologists and radiation oncologists?

That correlates directly to having gone to med school.
Posted By: Val Re: which college and does it matter - 06/30/14 03:27 AM
I'm kind of surprised that no one did a Google search for Google's hiring practices. I found this story very easily.

Originally Posted by Page 2 of linked interview
Q. Other insights from the data you’ve gathered about Google employees?

A. One of the things we’ve seen from all our data crunching is that G.P.A.’s are worthless as a criteria for hiring, and test scores are worthless — no correlation at all except for brand-new college grads, where there’s a slight correlation. Google famously used to ask everyone for a transcript and G.P.A.’s and test scores, but we don’t anymore, unless you’re just a few years out of school. We found that they don’t predict anything.

What’s interesting is the proportion of people without any college education at Google has increased over time as well. So we have teams where you have 14 percent of the team made up of people who’ve never gone to college.

I don't know about how Google picks the other 86% of its employees, but if 14% of them never even went to college, it seems reasonable to assume that they don't restrict applicants by college attended. Anecdotally, I knew someone who was hired there. He didn't go to an elite college. My husband and a friend work in the tech industry at high profile places and neither of them puts much emphasis on where the candidate's degree was earned. They mostly want to know if the person a) knows the field and b) can get stuff done.

Wren, I'm trying to understand your question. Why did you ask? Are you thinking about your daughter? Was the question related to something else?
Posted By: Val Re: which college and does it matter - 06/30/14 05:58 AM
This article in today's NY Times seems to be appropriate for this thread.

We see K-12 schools and colleges differently because we’re looking at two different yardsticks: the academic performance of the whole population of students in one case, the research performance of a small number of institutions in the other.

Instead, Piaac suggests that the wide disparities of knowledge and skill present among American schoolchildren are not ameliorated by higher education. If anything, they are magnified. In 2000, American 15-year-olds scored slightly above the international average. ... While American college graduates are far more knowledgeable than American nongraduates, creating a substantial “wage premium” for diploma holders, they look mediocre or worse compared to their college-educated peers in other nations.
Posted By: madeinuk Re: which college and does it matter - 06/30/14 11:15 AM
While American college graduates are far more knowledgeable than American nongraduates, creating a substantial “wage premium” for diploma holders, they look mediocre or worse compared to their college-educated peers in other nations.

Ding, ding, ding, we have a winner!

This is because other countries' universities [mostly] select based on academics.

And also why DD will be taking French and German lessons after she gains a certain amount of proficiency with Latin...
Posted By: Bostonian Re: which college and does it matter - 06/30/14 12:14 PM
Originally Posted by Val
This article in today's NY Times seems to be appropriate for this thread.

Instead, Piaac suggests that the wide disparities of knowledge and skill present among American schoolchildren are not ameliorated by higher education. If anything, they are magnified.
This should be expected. Higher-IQ youths are more educable. Those with IQ of 100 can learn little at college that is truly at the college level, those with IQ of 115 can learn more, and those with IQ of 130 can learn a lot.
Posted By: Wren Re: which college and does it matter - 06/30/14 12:30 PM
I thought the trend is interesting. And I think any stories over 5 years old don't pertain. Just like general hiring practices. thousands apply to a job posting, so there are computer generated programs and sort through looking for word groupings.
Maybe someone has created a school search app to define the applicants better. Maybe they have some psychologist that has suggested that applicants that go to competitive schools are going to be "hungrier" workers, striving for more excellence. I don't know, just thinking about the trend.
Posted By: Chana Re: which college and does it matter - 06/30/14 01:33 PM
While attending an elite school (known for the STEM discipline) as a STEM student, I took summer STEM courses at two different state universities and now work at a state university. If the textbooks were the common ones and not written by the professor teaching the course, the courses were still definitely different. The homework and testing were the main thing. Testing at the state school were often multiple choice (I went through 4 yrs of elite school without ever filling out a bubble) and the homeworks were far more challenging. The homework at the elite school were impossible to figure out on your own unless you were that top 1% of the students. The homework from the state schools were problems in the book. State school tests were typically easy enough to have a grading system without or with only a small curve. Additional problem books from the bookstore would actually be useful. Those books were useless to me at the elite university, as our test questions were far far more complex, combining multiple principles into one problem. Elite school has an army of TAs who can assess and assign partial credit because each one just grades one question. The average grade in a lower level course was never in the 70s also below and often far below and everything was graded on a curve with a C/B- as the mean. We never had questions that just asked for a definition. Every test was open notes, open book because you had to know how to apply multiple principles together to solve a problem.
The other consideration is that MIT, Stanford and others have no problem providing their lectures and books online because they know the value of an elite education is outside the lecture hall.
Posted By: Dude Re: which college and does it matter - 06/30/14 02:15 PM
No, since income is positively correlated with IQ, and IQ is highly heritable, a disproportionate number of the smartest and high school students come from rich families, who are paying full freight. That's why even though 29% of Harvard students came from families with incomes of $250K+, including 14% from families with incomes of $500K+, the richest kids had the highest SAT scores on average, according to a survey of Harvard freshman:

http://www.thecrimson.com/article/2013/9/4/freshman-survey-admissions-aid/
Freshman Survey Part II: An Uncommon App
The Crimson’s Survey of Freshmen Shines Light on Admissions, Financial Aid, and Recruiting
By LAYA ANASU and MICHAEL D. LEDECKY
September 4, 2013

On average, freshman respondents took the SAT 1.85 times, earning an average highest composite score of 2237. Students were more likely to take the SAT, and most respondents never took the ACT.

Standardized test scores varied along racial lines. East Asian and Indian respondents reported SAT averages of 2299, the two highest of the seven ethnic groups considered in the survey. Respondents who identified as Black and Native American reported the lowest average scores, 2107 and 2142, respectively.

Respondents’ highest SAT scores tended to go up with an increase in income bracket. Of the six income brackets represented in the survey, respondents who reported household incomes of more than $500,000 or between $250,000 and $500,000 earned the highest average SAT composite scores.

SAT correlation with IQ? Basic Automatic B.S. Essay Language Generator.

For a few thousand dollars, an SAT coach can teach your child to generate their own BS.
Posted By: Bostonian Re: which college and does it matter - 06/30/14 02:25 PM
Originally Posted by Dude
SAT correlation with IQ? Basic Automatic B.S. Essay Language Generator.

For a few thousand dollars, an SAT coach can teach your child to generate their own BS.
SAT scores and IQ were correlated with socioeconomic status even before there was an essay section on the SAT. Dude, if there is an expensive magic pill that I can give my children in 11th grade to make them do better on their SAT, SAT subject tests, AP exams, etc., please let me know about it. We'll buy the pills in addition to doing what we are already doing. In reality, the advantages of higher SES children, to the extent that they are not genetic, are due to the environment that their parents foster over many years, both directly and by selecting the peer groups of their children.
Posted By: Dude Re: which college and does it matter - 06/30/14 03:08 PM
SAT scores and IQ were correlated with socioeconomic status even before there was an essay section on the SAT. Dude.

Yes. And now there's an essay section, so the correlation between IQ and SAT score is broken. It goes deeper than that, though: http://psychcentral.com/news/2013/1...ay-not-correlate-to-higher-iq/63200.html

Some of those schools have had great success improving their students’ MCAS scores — a boost that studies have found also translates to better performance on the SAT and Advanced Placement tests.

The researchers calculated how much of the variation in MCAS scores was due to the school that students attended. For MCAS scores in English, schools accounted for 24 percent of the variation, and they accounted for 34 percent of the math MCAS variation.

However, the schools accounted for very little of the variation in fluid cognitive skills — less than 3 percent for all three skills combined.

The correlation between SES and SAT score remains strong, because teaching to the test and extensive test coaching work, and those are things you can buy, even though they don't make you any smarter.
Posted By: Bostonian Re: which college and does it matter - 06/30/14 03:28 PM
SAT scores and IQ were correlated with socioeconomic status even before there was an essay section on the SAT. Dude.

Yes. And now there's an essay section, so the correlation between IQ and SAT score is broken.
Looking at the SAT Total Group Score Report http://media.collegeboard.com/digitalServices/pdf/research/2013/TotalGroup-2013.pdf , the correlation of household income and SAT score is similar for the three sections of the SAT, so if the correlation IQ and composite SAT score has been broken (which I doubt), it was not by adding the writing section.
Posted By: Dude Re: which college and does it matter - 06/30/14 04:43 PM

Yes. And now there's an essay section, so the correlation between IQ and SAT score is broken.
Looking at the SAT Total Group Score Report http://media.collegeboard.com/digitalServices/pdf/research/2013/TotalGroup-2013.pdf , the correlation of household income and SAT score is similar for the three sections of the SAT, so if the correlation IQ and composite SAT score has been broken (which I doubt), it was not by adding the writing section.

I'm pretty sure I said, "It goes deeper than that, though," and then posted a link to an article that explained more in depth, so you're basically knocking down a straw man.

And even the linked article doesn't cover it entirely, because the modification to remove more obscure words from the verbal section was only announced this year. Incrementally, the SAT has been changed over time to make it less meaningful a measure of IQ. This is why Mensa dropped it as a qualifying test as of 1994.

Meanwhile, while all these changes are going on, everyone is still citing statistics of SAT/IQ correlation as of 2003.
Posted By: JonLaw Re: which college and does it matter - 06/30/14 04:50 PM
Meanwhile, while all these changes are going on, everyone is still citing statistics of SAT/IQ correlation as of 2003.

But we only have the rear view mirror!

These massive compilations of data take time to assemble and filter through the system, ultimately incorporating them into the entire corporate world system so that adequate adjustments to the college student processing and sorting system can be made in order to improve efficiency, and ultimately, competitive profitability.

By 2030, we will have a better idea of what's going on right now and at that time, the board will revisit potential future systemic adjustments depending on current GDP growth rates and monetary velocity.
Posted By: Bostonian Re: which college and does it matter - 06/30/14 04:51 PM
There are psychologists who are aware of changes in the SAT who still think it measures IQ. Here is an article from 2014:

http://www.slate.com/articles/healt...al_intelligence_predicts_school_and.html
Yes, IQ Really Matters:
Critics of the SAT and other standardized testing are disregarding the data.
By David Z. Hambrick and Christopher Chabris
Slate
April 14, 2014

What this all means is that the SAT measures something—some stable characteristic of high school students other than their parents’ income—that translates into success in college. And what could that characteristic be? General intelligence. The content of the SAT is practically indistinguishable from that of standardized intelligence tests that social scientists use to study individual differences, and that psychologists and psychiatrists use to determine whether a person is intellectually disabled—and even whether a person should be spared execution in states that have the death penalty. Scores on the SAT correlate very highly with scores on IQ tests—so highly that the Harvard education scholar Howard Gardner, known for his theory of multiple intelligences, once called the SAT and other scholastic measures “thinly disguised” intelligence tests.
Posted By: Bostonian Re: which college and does it matter - 06/30/14 05:08 PM
Originally Posted by JonLaw

But we only have the rear view mirror!

These massive compilations of data take time to assemble and filter through the system, ultimately incorporating them into the entire corporate world system so that adequate adjustments to the college student processing and sorting system can be made in order to improve efficiency, and ultimately, competitive profitability.
That's not the only factor. I frequently defend the SAT, but the College Board, which produces it, is increasingly dishonest or at least willfully uninformed about why the SAT is predictive. The SAT used to stand for "Scholastic Aptitude Test", and "aptitude" sounds a lot like intelligence. But they dropped the term "aptitude", because retaining it raises the question of whether groups have different average scholastic aptitudes, since their SAT average scores differ. Since the College Board does *not* want to talk about that, it will *not* do any research correlating SAT scores with IQ. At the same time, if it eliminated the g loading of the SAT, its ability to predict college grades would decline substantially. So the College Board tries to make the SAT look like less of an IQ test (dropping analogies, and soon, "obscure words") while still being enough of one to retain value.
Posted By: Dude Re: which college and does it matter - 06/30/14 05:09 PM
Bostonian: That article is just plain awful, so maybe you want to find another that states your case better. The paragraph you clipped shows how the author made an unjustified leap into SAT=IQ with no supporting data whatsoever. He didn't even bother with the 2003 statistics.

The article may be from 2014, but what year did Gardner make that original statement? No citation, I see.

Meanwhile, you still haven't addressed why good high schools and extensive test prep equals improved SAT scores but no change in fluid intelligence.
Posted By: Dude Re: which college and does it matter - 06/30/14 05:21 PM
That's not the only factor. I frequently defend the SAT, but the College Board, which produces it, is increasingly dishonest or at least willfully uninformed about why the SAT is predictive. The SAT used to stand for "Scholastic Aptitude Test", and "aptitude" sounds a lot like intelligence. But they dropped the term "aptitude", because retaining it raises the question of whether groups have different average scholastic aptitudes, since their SAT average scores differ. Since the College Board does *not* want to talk about that, it will *not* do any research correlating SAT scores with IQ. At the same time, if it eliminated the g loading of the SAT, its ability to predict college grades would decline substantially. So the College Board tries to make the SAT look like less of an IQ test (dropping analogies, and soon, "obscure words") while still being enough of one to retain value.

Well, yes, back in the days of yore, the SAT was developed on the model of aptitude tests developed by the military, both tests were somewhat loaded to favor particular groups, and as a result, both were forced to evolve. The ASVAB (successor to the original Alpha) is still basically an aptitude test because it still exists primarily to predict success for individuals in specific fields of study, and the SAT has evolved in a different direction, because it exists primarily to make money, and predictive power is a secondary goal.

Anyway, since you just admitted the SAT is evolving in ways that are increasingly meaningless to IQ, I guess we're done here.
Posted By: Mark D. Re: which college and does it matter - 06/30/14 05:58 PM
Just a reminder to keep things respectful here.
© Gifted Issues Discussion Forum