Thanks, squishys. It it interesting to hear a positive review of the SBV. It seems more popular outside of the US. I was told by one tester that he saw many HG kiddos NOT test as gifted on the SBV (while they tested as HG on other tests). So I have a fear of false negatives with the SBV. It is good to hear that it DOES catch some of the gifted children.

I actually will not be able to wait until he is 10 y.o., because the current school will test him with their abbreviated/screening tests before that.

Right now, because of prior comments here and elsewhere, I honestly trust the WISC more. It does not sound like the gifted schools in my area will take the WJ Cognitive. Still, I am not certain that the WISC IV is likely to identify a "more mathy" than verbal child. What is confusing is that I understand a new version will soon be available, but it seems like every time a test has a new version there is a great deal of confusion about what is actually "gifted" on the newer test. I am just trying to understand the pros and cons. Thank you for any opinions or information!