Originally Posted by MegMeg
Guilty as charged. However, most of us are deeply passionate about getting our students to understand the material that we care so much about, and we learn from experience what helps students to "get it" and what doesn't. I will admit though that the first several semesters of students I taught did not get the most awesome teaching experience ever.

Thanks for responding to my concerns, however, I'm afraid being passionate about getting students to understand often doesn't equate to having the tools to be able to do so just like my wife often says about certain teachers at school, "He's a really nice man.".....which doesn't equate to them being a good teacher either.

In public school we assume that teachers have had a reasonable amount of training in teaching methodology, differentiation, educational psychology, etc. I think expecting the same thing from those who teach at the highest levels isn't unreasonable. While I understand that after a few classes a professor will gain skills, they should START with a basic set of teaching skills and best practice of teaching only honing those already learned skills rather than learning those basic teaching skills after numerous classes / years.

Last edited by Old Dad; 06/26/14 11:49 AM.