Originally Posted by Marnie
Now what? We are in the unique situation of being able to move somewhere (anywhere, within reason) because DH is going to be applying to astrophysics post-docs in the fall. So it makes sense to us that we should not only look at locations that are good for DH but that also have options for DS. So...please, throw me some ideas! What are really great programs/schools, areas that can work with PG kids...places where there are gifted co-ops, etc. We haven't ruled out homeschooling, but DS is very social so there needs to be SOME kind of interaction, plus, we really would love to have him be around kids that he could relate to.

I can certainly understand why you'd ask this, and you might as well find out what you can, but it seems quite risky to choose a location based on potential schooling, when the schooling could turn out to be far below expectations. (Sorry, I don't have any information about such schooling.) I'm also surprised that one could find an astrophysics post-doc "anywhere, within reason". I thought the academic job market situation was rather grim.