Everything that was said above is really excellent advice. I have very little to add.

I will just note that there have been some fMRI studies of ADHD young adults who had been medicated, comparing their brains to non-identified young adults and and non-medicated ADHD young adults, which find that those who have been consistently medicated through adolescence "normalize" compared to those who have not. (Or some have called it maturing, compared to those who were not medicated.) Personally, I think it likely that what is actually happening is that medication allows children to attend to the internal and external cues and feedback that naturally-reinforce the development of executive functions, which then operates on brain development during this plastic stage. If one can provide this without medication, I would suspect that the same brain maturation/development would take place.

I always think of psychotropic medication as scaffolding. A person who is deeply depressed or anxious cannot access the best cognitive-behavioral therapy. A severely attentionally dysregulated child might need the same kind of psychopharmacological scaffolding to access social skills and organizational training. The objective should be to gradually wean the scaffolding as skills and coping strategies improve.

I'm not an MD, so this is of course just based on my anecdotal experiences and personal opinions.

...pronounced like the long vowel and first letter of the alphabet...