I haven't posted in awhile but was totally thinking of all of you, when I read the article! My DS had complete separation between reading and writing, totally gifted in reading and very behind in writing. We really saw what the article is talking about though, when they starting on cursive this year in 2nd. His school is wonderful about his IEP, he has great typing accommodations and his teacher is terrific - and yet still she doesn't automatically do the accommodations, was making him ask for it, etc, so he was still feeling the stress despite being supported. So then they introduce cursive and suddenly his letters are all the same size, there is spacing between the words, you can read his handwriting! He is now drawing! His printing is still mostly awful and math, he needs a lot of space (which drives me nuts that the teacher is still not giving him more space on the math tests) but something about doing cursive has really changed things, especially in terms of confidence. But it doesn't not carry over to printing where he makes every letter differently each time he does.

DeHe