Originally Posted by fitzi
Thanks for recapping your experiences Austin.

Originally Posted by Austin
... I could do 8 digit division in my head...

This is impressive. What do you do now?

I use a calculator and C#!!!!

Originally Posted by fitzi
Originally Posted by Austin
4. Map out a roadmap for them in all subjects and adhere to it. Make sure the roadmap aims right through a college curriculum. This will give them discipline. My mentor noted above did this for me in Software and Astronomy and it made a huge difference.

This is what I would like to do for my DS: what are the resources and process steps for developing such suitable road maps? Is this, in effect, the same as drafting an IEP? Where do you look for appropriate age/learning benchmarks?

I've been thinking the same thing. I was hoping there would be something like this laid out in a FAQ on this site or somewhere else. I've not seen a collation or even a colloqium and I've been thinking about a way to go through all the posts in a reasonable way to collate the suggestions.

Such a grand framework is implied, but I've not seen one laid out. Most treatments of a subject recapitulatate the history of the science. Here is a great
map.

There is a Philology based upon the Dewey Decimal System which would be the place to start as a framework to enumerate the books which would form the basis of a broad curriculum. However, you would need a seperate framework for Ideas. In addition, there are methods and strategies for teaching and for dealing with issues which would have to have a framework as well.

Core Ideas
Methods
DDC

Worst case, if you read the top two books ( most checked out ) in each section in the third summary of the DDC ( the thousands ) then you would have a very broad education.

Then use the very narrow curriculum from a major HS publisher for specific subjects required for college entrance.