Originally Posted by Takeoutchick
My kids (twins) are 5 now. They entered K when they were 4, and my son was skipped while his sister wasn't. I would love to homeschool him but am having doubts about whether I want to follow the Core Curriculum and also am concerned about sending sister to school while HS'ing her brother.

My son is getting bad behavior grades but excels academically. He needs frequent breaks with lots of activity. I requested to sit in the classroom one day to observe him, but his teacher doesn't want me to. The school is not set up for him, but it's the best one in our area.

Well, if you're thinking of home-schooling him, why not home-school both of them? She's probably at the same intellectual level but just not getting the "bad behavior" reports; boys tend to be more fidgety and active than girls at that age. There have been a number of studies about how the school system isn't really set up for active boys.

Here's an article:
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/lori-day/why-boys-are-failing-in-a_b_884262.html

I am reading a book now called The Well-Trained Mind; the author outlines a plan for homeschooling. I haven't got very far into it but it has rave reviews and is supposed to be a great starting point.