Originally Posted by NikiHarp
What about RTI? The assistant principal mentioned this specifically. Will the teachers try specific strategies in the classroom and if that doesn't work we'll discuss 504/IEP?

NikiHarp, I have a lot to say in a reply and absolutely no time today - I'm so sorry! I did want to quickly address the ? about RTI though. RTI stands for "Response to Intervention" - it's intended as a plan to *remediate* that happens prior to determining a student's eligibility for an IEP (which is an individualized education plan), and it's also used in a broader sense in our school district in terms of sort of an "RTI for all" but I won't even go into that because it's irrelevant here. SO... here's the deal, and it can be tricky. You need to differentiate when you're talking with the school between skills that can be remediated and abilities that must be accommodated. I can't speak for you individual ds, but in general, dysgraphic students are not able to show the full extent of their knowledge when using handwriting and no amount of remediation on the planet will ever change that. You will most likely want to be advocating to allow your ds to have accommodations that remove the impact of dysgraphia from any type of writing required in school. If the school is addressing the actual act of handwriting through "RTI" - that *might* be ok.. or it might not... totally depends on what expectations they have re RTI and handwriting instruction. Wish I had time to say more, but I don't at the moment.

I'll try to come back to this later - good luck!

polarbear