It may be driven by cost-effectiveness, just plain old budget cuts.

I think the teachers also are in a different paradigm. Their work environment, work reality, constraints are so different (aren't they) from the environments that the gifted children will work in.

I think their utopian or arcadian model might be for society's personal / non-work life.

I don't think they have been in work environments where everyone is working very hard 24 / 7, 365, consistently at a very high level and enjoying it.

People seem to understand and support the athletes in the Olympics, but it never translates for the mentally gifted people. They don't really support the type of achievement that we are capable of. They are not impressed by our academic Olympics. (Huge problem for gifted people. Insert your own humor here.)

Honestly, the topics we are interested in are so different from anything that the non-gifted people want to explore.

So, as soon as your gifted child is mature enough for college, college is probably the best answer and not one of those party schools where you wonder, Did you ever see that person study?