Originally Posted by ElizabethN
Originally Posted by aeh
Overall, your profile suggests that an evaluator might want to investigate what has been called right-hemisphere learning disability (overlaps with DCD, dyscalculia, can include dyslexia, often is associated with differences in social arenas).

I have never heard of this, aeh, and I am intrigued. Can you tell me more? Both of my kids are klutzy with slow-to-develop social skills, and DD was diagnosed with dysgraphia but does not seem to be showing it now.

I am intrigued as well. DS has DCD but his biggest strengths are those which technically should be weaknesses according to what other people with DCD experience. He is very strong with non-verbal ability and weaker with verbal ability. He is very good with math, visual memory, and visual perception. Rather than being dyslexic, he seems somewhat hyperlexic and can read adult-level text (he's 7). He could read rather fluently at age 4 with little instruction. I keep hoping that it's not really DCD, and he's just "delayed" but he has other things that tend to go along with it, for instance ASD-like quirks, problems with speech fluency and prosody, hypotonia, etc .