Originally Posted by TwinkleToes
Well I found out she got a 228 on reading and that is higher as I expected.

How can kids be expected to score at a higher grade level in math if they are not instructed above grade level though? She is better in reading because she just reads and gains vocabulary etc, but you don't just know some math concepts unless taught. I do not teach her above grade level and she just does second grade math in her class, and next year in third she will just do third grade work. Maybe some of the more mathy kids seek out more math at home in their own time and so they learn more outside of school or get more advanced math at home. I know my DD7 isn't a super math kid, but I am sure she could learn more than they are currently providing.

My kid learns math like the bus stop conversation....funny but I heard my 8th grader explaining roots and exponents to my fourth grader on the couch...just a back and forth conversation....he now has a cursory grasp of it and will probably ponder and manipulate it in his head until he has a firm grasp. He might google additional questions and might. Look at Kahn or other websites he has access to at home.

His teachers also let him go on the computer when he is done with his classwork. The one site he hits a lot is FCAT Explorer....as he finished on grade level of material on that website he just moved up to the next. He is in fourth grade...he finally hit a grade level that was the tiniest bit challenging in reading (8th) and I think he has just moved up another grade level or is about to on the math (7th).

Another thing with mathy kids is that you teach them skill or concept one and they just manipulate it, proof it, and get it...show them the next logical concept/skill on a map test and they have the power to muscle through it using logic and prior knowledge because they understand at such a mathy level.

My kid finished a standardized test 20 minutes before time called. Not allowed to read or write or do anything I asked what he did...he said I thought deep thoughts.

...reading is pleasure, not just something teachers make you do in school.~B. Cleary