Originally Posted by master of none
The last time I looked, I used the argument that DS needed equal access to the same programs available to peers. And I stretched that to mean GT because GT was available to the grade and he was entitled to access too.

Makes sense. That's always been my basic understanding of 504s. We've never had one, so I am not up on those particulars.

When I saw the new wording, I was a little concerned because now it's about "needs". How can needs be compared? I guess "needs" to express self? I think I can work it that way.

I think you do it according to the task expectations of the settings (including GT) in which he is placed. So if all students do X, and he needs a support to do X, or even specialized instruction to do X, they have to offer that?

I started reviewing because we are about to transition to high school, and we have a new counselor who was just going to pass along the document to the high school, rather than schedule an annual meeting. And since then, it's a minimalist approach and I'm having to be the heavy.

Can you schedule a transition meeting?

So this new wording threw me for a loop, but I think I can see how it might work to our advantage to get rid of some of those zeros on oral reports and on writing assignments. DS "needs" to have a rough draft on writing assignments, and he "needs" to have questions asked of him during oral reports to get all the info out. These two have been sticking points in the past. Ready to go! (Just gotta get the meeting scheduled!)

Yes, I think this makes sense. Look at the things that aren't working now; identify what supports he needs to succeed; and advocate for those supports to be in place at the start of high school.

Our school never did ANY testing at all. How can you determine needs if you never look for them? (For other kids whose parents are not as proactive).

Well, yeah. What HK said about Child Find. One of my leisure activities is helping parents who need to figure out the process, because nobody is helping with that around here.

A 504 with no testing is an interesting one. I guess they used an RTI model-- but then someone should have noticed those failing grades and Responded with an Intervention. Again, only if the parents are on it.... glad you are, MON.