Originally Posted by 2GiftedBoys
I just have to say I was extremely bummed to see my 7 year old score so low. That week of testing was awful for him. He had missed 3 days of school from high fever then they yard to squeeze in all the testing to finish up before their deadline. I can't help but wonder if this had affected te scores. He has always been praised with high reading and writing abilities. His cogat and GrAde test scores were all in the 7-8-9 staine. His Map test scores showed the Same 98 % ranges.

Yes, I expect it did affect him; hard to say how much. In future, it may help to know that the deadlines for them to finish testing are usually there to protect your parental rights on behalf of your child. Therefore, if you choose to give them more time (in writing) to complete the evaluation, you can do so. Unless this is an issue of making the deadline for gifted program selection, in which case they would also have to agree to bend those.

Just have to mention that a stanine of 7 is the 79th - 88th %ile, which is equivalent to a standard score of 112-118, and a stanine of 8 is the 90 - 96th %ile, which is a standard score of 119-126, so it is possible that his group achievement testing is actually consistent with his WJIII achievement, depending on which scores were in which stanine.

Last edited by aeh; 05/10/14 02:34 PM. Reason: mea culpa. my stanine conversions were a little off; the original point stands, though.

...pronounced like the long vowel and first letter of the alphabet...