It does depend on the instrument. What my son's private teacher wants is for my son to have his instrument (clarinet) in his mouth almost every day. He doesn't say how long every day. My son doesn't practice enough but when he does he spends about 30 minutes at time. But he does have band practice in school 4 days a week, and his goal (and mine) is for him to play in the marching band through the rest of H.S.

The amount really depends on age, maturity and what one is trying to accomplish. For any instrument I would suggest every day for at least 15 minutes per day, more the older they get. Try for almost every day, but don't worry about minor exceptions because of special activities.

As to when to join a outside band/orchestra? This depends on the on the orchestra. In my area they usually have age limits, and require a audition. Around my area there are groups for children (8-12) and teens. Most don't start till the age the school band/orchestra starts. Unless one really felt your child was a musical prodigy I would probably stick to their limits. And outside band/orchestra is appropriate if you child enjoys it and they aren't over-scheduled in a million other activities.

Last edited by bluemagic; 05/06/14 04:49 PM.