I appreciate the suggestion. I have seen the information on the changes in the SAT and it seems worth considering, but I wasn't planning on asking my daughter to practice. She can always practice later if necessary. I just want something I can show to colleges to help convince them to take us seriously when we ask about classes. I think she can do reasonably on the verbal part without practicing (apart from just knowing what the questions are like and the rules for guessing). She would need to practice the math because it's different from what she is used to and she is just stronger in verbal skills; I'll just leave it to her whether she is interested.

That seems like a very good point to consider if she was going to prepare. Do most kids prepare if they take it early? I took the SAT in a talent search and basically took it cold (they did show us what the questions were like in advance); I didn't even really know what it was at the time (my family is not from this country and we weren't familiar with the SAT). I hadn't thought about asking my daughter to practice. Maybe I should, but I don't want to make her worry about exam prep so young.