My DS has good map memorizing skills. I think what impressed me was that I had no idea he was memorizing maps,never even showed him a map or named countries. I did hang a map on his wall though as a decoration. And then when I asked him where random states or countries were, he knew, and could describe where they were without even looking at a map and draw them from memory. So there was no drilling/teaching involved. I wouldn't call it a savant skill, but definitely odd. Esp. since I don't think he was spending very much time looking at maps. We hung a world map on his wall and 2 days later (after spending maybe 10 min in his room awake), he knew where almost all the random countries I named were, including Sudan, Finland, Denmark, etc. He described the Mediterranean Sea as a "lake" which cracked me up. He said Sudan is by Egypt and across the lake from Italy. He had no idea where Africa is (because it's not labeled on the map) but knew Sudan.

DS defintely has some spectrumy quirks. But I think gifted kids can do these things as well.