Outcome: DD helped her in school a bit yesterday, after she logged onto CTY and did a problem set for herself.

And it seemed to go well and she felt like she was obligated to this session today, so I picked them up and brought them here. The girl had dance at 5:30, so her father picked her up at 5, a little over an hour.

It went OK. I sat nearby reading and interceded at one point when DD was explaining lowest common denominator and gave examples.

I didn't listen closely but at one point, I heard a condescending: "you think 7x3 is 18?".

DD admitted it was harder than she expected to teach someone who has a hard time understanding. There won't be anymore. Luckily the teacher doesn't expect her to do this. I did explain that she had agreed to help and now felt obligated to this one session so I think the teacher helped out at school. DD logs on and does her CTY math during school, never expected to help other kids, just to clarify. It was the other parents that were trying to do this.

I talked with the mother last evening and she thinks they just dropped the ball when it came to math homework. This kid did not learn multiplication tables. At some point you need to memorize them, like learning to read. If you really don't know quickly 6x3 is 18, it is going to be difficult finding lowest common denominators, and so on and so forth. I told DD, after the call, and she actually made a table for the girl to fill in....