I would go ahead and go in for the one session you've promised, and use that session to get an idea of where the other student is at, then let the teacher know that the other parent had asked your dd for help. If I were you, I'd drop my involvement at that point, and also my child's. I can't imagine any of my kids (all of whom have wildly different personalities) wanting to be in the position of actually tutoring at 9 years old. If the other student needs tutoring, she needs to be getting it from either an adult or a high school student.

Several posters mentioned that the student's parent should help - I have no way of knowing (and I doubt wren knows either unles she knows the parent) if the parent is simply trying to get easy, free help and is shirking their own responsibilities, or if the parent genuinely doesn't understand how to help their child with the math. Making the teacher aware of the request allows the teacher to address the situation - in any number of ways, depending on the child and parents' abilities. It might be as simple as the teacher giving the student extra help, or finding help for the student within the school, or making a recommendation for a specific outside school tutoring group.

If you do this, you've extended your help, let your dd help, and you've passed along the info to a logical next-step person who should be able to help set up the student for ongoing help.

polarbear