And by guessing, they mean "guess and be wrong" as opposed to "guess and be lucky"?

DS does not like tricky. He'll make things tricky enough himself, and he "intuits" too much especially in math. This happens in class, too. (His chemistry teacher calls him The Bond Whisperer for intuiting covalent bonds.) Or, he'll read something different into a question than was intended.

Thank goodness the SAT essay didn't matter this go-round, because the question was so odd, it was leading and unclear at the same time...not to mention, they just haven't done that particular kind of writing in school. Still, the scorers gave him an okay mark...and yes, I read the "confessions of an SAT essay scorer". We can view the scanned copy, which is of such poor quality I can't read it.

I confess, I did not take the practice tests with him. He took them, I scored the bubbles, and he went over the answer guides (where he found the publisher errors). Very hands off for me (except for contacting the publisher and the library where we got our book).

I suppose we will wait and see whether he takes the SAT again, next time for reporting purposes. Of course, by that time the new test will be in place. Most students around here take only the ACT.