This sounds like classic over excitabilities (OEs) caused by the asynchronous development seen in some gifted kids.

Be warned, many educators have been brainwashed into thinking that school is about the Whole Child and will see these OEs as a reason NOT to skip.

We went through this with DD's school but prevailed after a hard marketing campaign for the skip. My DD's FSIQ is 5 points lower than yours but her GAI is the same so I strongly believe that your DD and her school are going through the same thing as my DD did with hers.

Many school districts fear allowing a skip because they dread the thought of a torrent of 'Me too!' requests. Showing them that the Iowa scales are a very hard series of bars to leap and that they would be morally obliged to skip or subject accelerate *any child* clearing them helps with this.

You have been forewarned so go into the meeting forearmed. Here is what worked for us:-

1. Read up on gifted policies in our State e.g. we live in NJ and we found a state report showing that skipping should not be ruled out.

2. Use the information put up by Davidson elsewhere on this site.

3. Joined the DYS program as we thought it would be useful to have a gifted advisor at times.

4. Scoured the Internet for articles on OEs and how they can be misinterpreted as immaturity.

5. Bought two copies of the Iowa Acceleration Scales one for the school so they could get familiar with it and one for us to work through for our DD.

6. Got a cognitive therapist to assess our DD using the BASC test. The psychologist basically told us that our DD's profile matched that of kids after remediation not before, in other words our DD was normal.

7. Made it clear that we had these results on our DD and wanted to *partner* with the school to put our DD in an environment best suited to her needs. Used words like teamwork, collaboration, partnership at every opportunity.

8. Kept our points data driven - shared copies of reports, papers on gifted education, positive outcomes post acceleration etc.

9. Showed that our Iowa scale scores revealed that our DD was an excellent candidate for acceleration even factoring in the lowest scored input from the school.

We got our DD a full year's skip and the school board voted to use the Iowa scales to evaluate future kids too. Further, the OEs have really diminished since the skip.

Good luck

PS

Sorry for the length of this post - just trying to give an example of one approach that worked and my mind is racing with no one to talk too right now - LOL

Last edited by madeinuk; 04/12/14 03:11 AM. Reason: Added BASC test

Become what you are