I am APPALLED at our district school board, which has pledged to cut special education services in half over the next few years under a misguided policy of "inclusive education"! In a district research report I found supporting the initiative, gifted students were identified as comprising a quarter of all special education students, and it was suggested that the gifted, the LD, and students with "only" IEPs would be the easiest to mainstream. I am beyond disgusted!!! This is a misguided attempt to shave a few dollars off the district budget and engineer equality of outcome irrespective of students' right to an appropriate education.

Do we have any Canadian lawyers here with a sense of whether there might be a constitutional basis for a challenge to such a policy? I appreciate that this is extremely limited information I'm providing. I'm happy to PM as needed so as not to disclose identifying information.

Last edited by aquinas; 04/07/14 07:17 AM. Reason: Title changed to be more representative of the far-reaching extent of the policy change.

What is to give light must endure burning.