Oh same here!!! DS9 was SO QUIRKY. (sigh). I thought he'd never fit in anywhere, EVER. Kindergarten - grade 2 was the worst. He's currently in grade 4 and has changed dramatically.

Anyway it was so intense that the school did an Autism screening on him and recommended we get him assessed (this has since been ruled out).

My DS was constantly being rejected. It was incredibly painful for me, mostly. He didn't seem to be aware of it. He was so wrapped up in the fascinating world of his own imagination that he missed all the "social rejection cues ."

Now at 9 he is very aware, and his behaviour has changed to match. He still exhibits sensory differences but doesn't have nearly as many social challenges. He's well liked and included by the other kids.

He was included in a weekly social skills pull out at school, but that was about it. He has an ADHD diagnosis (a condition that is notorious for missed social cues) and I've treated it alternatively (no meds) with fish oil, protein, vit. D, probiotics, etc., so that may have eased some symptoms enough and made things easier for him.

He's actually unusually introspective now... his self analysis ability is way beyond his years. It's as if the pendulum has swung completely the other way in the last two years.

So I guess time, for us, was the solution. I wish I had more suggestions... just know that you're not alone smile

Edit - as for the over-excitability - this still surfaces regularly. His emotional meltdowns have stopped, but he still gets really hyper, and very very silly smile The difference now is that he can self-regulate and calm himself down, so his intensities are tolerated (and in the case of the sillies, appreciated) by the other kids. Plus he's a sensitive, friendly guy and is easy to like smile

Last edited by CCN; 04/05/14 03:06 PM.