DS is the same age (first grade, just turned 7) and learned all of the multiplication facts last summer doing Big Brainz (or Timez Attack) online. There is a free version and a Deluxe version that's $20 for 3 months or something. He LOVED it because it was like a video game. I don't think he cared much about the math, he just loved the game. I know other kids who have tried it and were frustrated (because it is a fluency game and they need to put in correct answers within a few seconds), so it just depends on the kid. It starts out with a few facts and when a kid masters them it moves them on to a few more facts and reviews the facts later to make sure they are retained. They also have this for addition/subtraction facts.

DD is currently in third grade and the math curriculm teaches multplication and divison simultaneously. So you learn 5X4=20 and 20/4=5 at the same time. Not sure if that's a great idea or not. I just taught DS that division is the reverse of multiplication after he learned all of the mult. facts.