I haven't been on this discussion board in a long time but I was reading a few posts here and on an ADHD discussion board and I hear parents having so much frustration with the schools. I completely understand. I was there. Then, something wonderful happened...my 2E (highly gifted/ADHD/borderline Asperger's) 7-yr.-old son got dismissed from his private school. It was heartbreaking but such a relief that I didn't have to deal with those horrible comments from teachers and administrators anymore. It was the most awful experience. Now being on the other side of things one year later, I can say that homeschooling is a fantastic answer to the problem of schools that cannot meet our children's needs and cause us so much heartache and stress.

I know it sounds overwhelming and not doable, but I want to assure you it can be done! We are fortunate that we are able to live on my husband's salary alone, but I have heard from many homeschoolers that make it work somehow even with situations that seem difficult (single moms, lower income families, etc.). Since homeschooling can occur anytime--nights, weekends, summers, daytime--it can work for almost everyone. I've seen families where both parents homeschool part time. And most homeschooling parents are not teachers by training.

The best thing about homeschooling is that I can tailor my son's education and social experiences to meet his needs! I sign him up for high level classes and we talk and learn about his interests. We set up a schedule for the areas that he wouldn't learn on his own. Otherwise he is very self-directed and I let him learn at his own pace. We go to social outings and I am able to monitor things. No more recess meltdowns! :-)

I don't have to hear from whiny, angry, frustrated teachers and administrators. It is THE BEST solution to this problem. Now if my son is being difficult I can deal with the problem myself, head on, and not have to spend all my time and energy with a third party who doesn't care nearly as much as I do. My limited supply of energy now goes directly to my son.

Please consider this option. I was terrified at first but now I can say it was the best decision I ever made.

Maybe one day we will find a school that works for my son, but at this point homeschooling is the answer for us.

All the best in your journey,
Stephanie