When DS was evaluated by a private neuropsych he displayed some rather odd behaviors and the neuropsych recommended it. Not "anti-social" behaviors, just quirky. His speech prosody is odd and so the speech therapist sits in on the social skills group to watch his speech and give him cues when he starts speaking with an abnormal prosody. I don't think the intent is to help him learn the "lessons" (apparently they have lessons on how to engage more positively with peers), but for him, it helps with his speech and having appropriate conversations with peers. I think so much time in the classroom is spent on academics or listening to the teacher with no spontaneous talking allowed that it is good for him.
Ask them why he is in it and what he is getting out of it. I think it's fine for a kid to be a little quirky as long as they fit in. Right now my DS fits in just fine and the kids don't seem to notice his quirks or oddities (he's only in first grade), but the concern is that if some of these quirks/oddities don't reduce themselves, he could get picked on/bullied as he gets older.
DS's old school seemed puzzled when I asked about a social skills group and I don't think they even do it. His new school (same district) read the neuropsych report and they are the ones who suggested adding it into the IEP.