Does anyone know or understand the money, school politics, etc behind school social skills pull-out group? My son is wrapping up his second year in "social skills" group (he's in 2nd grade). He likes the group - it gives him a "break from class" they "play games," it's "easy"... etc. He finds the neurodiversity interesting. However, my husband and I increasingly see it as completely unnecessary but every time we broach taking him out with the school they are very resistant. Frankly, we haven't pushed pulling him from it too much b/c DS, although he is confused as to the "why" behind his being int he group, is always like "I'm fine with it, I'll stay in the group it gets me out of the more boring classes and Mrs Counselor-running-the-group is super nice and likes me." But I am not sure why he is there. I am starting to get suspicious they want to keep him there. Honestly, my DS is "different" with his creative shocks and his high intelligence coupled with his dysgraphia and EDS but he doesn't seem to us to have any real (or not age appropriate) social skill problems at all. He has friends, he has a best friend, he plays sports, he describes himself as having many buddies so he sees himself as liked. We have kids ask and come over for "playdates." Now, he is not SUPER popular, and he is picky about who he chooses as a "friend," he has no problem playing on his own, and yeah he's a little weird with his "creative shocks" and his fidgetiness. But he seems fine to us. He is happy and never complains that he isn't liked. In fact he describes himself as "well-liked". He is a little shy, he definitely is introverted but he seems happy and comfortable with his nature.

Anyway, I want him out of it next year for a few reasons: 1) because he is getting so many pull-outs. He is getting an additional OT pull-out for typing, he is getting gifted pull-outs and he also gets one-on-one time with the counselor he likes so much just to chat about any anxiety; and, 2) I am starting to worry about the stigma that may start to come with being in the group. He has noticed that the kids in the group do have some serious social skills problems, he's even been able to start recognizing which kid has which challenge, e.g., "oh so-and-so seems like he's there for ADHD" or "so-and-so seems like he has issues stemming from being on the spectrum," etc (hence his confusion as to why he is in the group. I actually fibbed and said they like him to remain it as a good role model and good interaction for the others.)

My questions: Does the school get some sort of extra money for him in the group? (So odd to me that they fight me on something like scribing accommodations and even typing lessons but always seem more than willing to provide rather unnecessary things.) Why are they resistant to having him leave the group when I think it's obvious he's fine? I just find it really suspicious. What are your thoughts?